Small Pillows using children’s art work. These pillows are great for traveling – and are useful in a car or on a plane. Children love to take a bit of their creativity with them away from home and these can be given as a gift to a loved one.
1) 9” x 9” washable fabric square. I like white or off-white for this.
- Variation – smaller fabric square with fabric sewn on each side to frame the picture – final square should measure 9”
2) 9” x 9” washable fabric for backing
3) 3 ¼” x 68” washable fabric for ruffle
- Variation – Lace can be used instead of making a fabric ruffle.
4) Pillow stuffing
5) Fabric Markers
- Variation – fabric crayons or computer scanned image
1) Have your child draw a picture on the fabric square.
2) Prepare the fabric ruffle –
- Sew, right sides together, the short ends together forming a continuous loop of fabric.
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, cut edges together with wrong sides together. Now you have a long fabric piece right sides showing in a loop.
- Mark the long fabric ruffle into fours sections by folding in half once marking with a pin at each fold. Fold in half again and mark at each fold with a pin. You now have the long fabric ruffle divided and marked into four sections so that you can space evenly around the pillow.
3) Sew the ruffle onto the pillow. Take the pins that are marking the long fabric piece and pin the ruffle to the pillow at each pillow corner – right sides together and raw edges together. The ruffle should lay on top of the pillow. (see picture)
4) Gather the fabric ruffle as you sew around the pillow. If you want you can pre-gather the ruffle with a running stitch to fit each edge. Sew the ruffle on all four sides of the pillow.
5) Attach the backing fabric. With right sides together and the ruffle still laying on the pillow top, sew the backing to the pillow front. Leave a 3 inch section open along the bottom edge for turning and stuffing.
6) Turn the pillow right side out. Make sure you pull each corner out to make the square.
8) Whip stitch the opening closed.