I wanted a custom look in my living room – and drapery is soooo expensive! I decided to make my own and paint my own curtains using stencils! I found the curtain panels for $6 a piece on clearance. I picked up some paint and stencils and voila! Here are the steps so you can recreate this look:
- Curtain Panels
- Fabric Paint
- Blotting Sponges (for stencil painting – Martha Stewart has some great ones sold at Michael’s)
- Stencils of your choice
Instructions for DIY Custom Painted Curtains
- Remove wrinkles from curtain panels by ironing or throw in dryer for a bit.
- Lay curtain panel flat with plastic underneath
- Plan your design (make sure you take your time and really figure out what you want to do. Once you start – there’s no going back)
- Put paint in a container that you can dip the blotting sponge in (I used a sandwich tupperware container)
- Place the stencil on the panel where you intend the design to be.
- Blot the sponge in the paint and remove excess (you don’t want there to be a lot of paint on the sponge – it can bleed on the fabric)
- Holding the stencil in place with one hand, lightly dab the sponge on the stencil using an up-and-down motion)
8. Peel Stencil off panel
9. After each time you stencil, place the stencil between two paper towels and remove the paint on both sides. It will make it so the stencil doesn’t accidentally get paint on the panel where you don’t want it.
10. Allow curtain panel to dry!
11. When making subsequent panels, make sure your measurements are the same so when they hang next to one another – they aren’t “off”