This is a wonderful craft that incorporates working with clay and painting. It’s a great easy project for kids to use their creativity. This air dry clay jewelry makes a fantastic handmade gift for mother’s day or a birthday. Have fun and be creative!
- Air Dry Clay
- Mod Podge
- String (to make the necklace)
- To make a round pendant-type bead, pull off a piece of the clay and roll into a smooth ball. Place the ball on a smooth surface and use another smooth item (I used the bottom of a glass) to smash the ball down to a flat circular shape. It should be at least 1/4″ thick
2. Using a toothpick, slowly push through the side until it comes out on the other side. Do this close to the top of the pendant.
3. Allow the pendants or beads to dry for 24 hours.
4. After drying, paint your desired design. I use Martha Stewart Paints – they work very well.
5. After the paint has dried, paint one coat of the mod podge over the entire pendant or bead. Allow to dry fully before handling.
6. Push the string through the hole created by the toothpick and cut to your desired length. Knot the ends together. For the necklace with 3 pendants, I placed knots on either side of each pendant to hold it in place.